Join the next gen of 2XXfm
Would you like the opportunity be on the radio? We are looking for people with a passion for their local community, music and culture, to join our roster on 2XXfm in 2023.
You do not need any experience to join; we train prospective presenters on codes of practice, station guidelines, operating procedures and all the necessary skills to develop and present a radio program.
At the end of training, you will possess the skills to co-host a current 2XXfm show or present your own show.
If music is your burning passion, we are also keenly seeking talent to produce, and host, our Localnlive music show, aired each weekday from 4 to 6pm. LocalnLive is our dedicated local music and event show, broadcasting music from independent artists in our community.
Training takes place in small groups (up to 4 people) and can be a great way to meet other 2XX volunteers who are getting started.
The fine details
Training is broken into two components:
1. Directed training – You will have policy and procedure training, and have the opportunity to learn how to work the mixing desk and recording software
2. Self-directed training – Using the skills learnt during the first half of your training, you will be expected to produce a 30min demo to share at the end of your training. If you are wishing to present your own show, you will submit a program proposal and create a demo for approval.
Further, all presenters are expected to be 2XX subscribers. To become a subscriber, visit https://www.2xxfm.org.au/get-involved/subscribe/
Being a presenter with 2XXfm is an immensely rewarding experience, you have the opportunity to gain media experience and engage with the local community. However, it is also an immense commitment. All new presenters must be willing to commit to a 6-month broadcast schedule. Whether it’s your own program, or a team effort, your show you must air weekly.
If you can commit to learning, and joining our station, for the minimum 6-month period we invite you to apply. Contact us via the webform if you wish to apply to present a show or if you are interested in training.
The training covers:
- 2XX history, culture and programs
- An orientation of the station, office and studios
- Community Radio Codes of Practice
- Music and spoken word content best practice
- Some media law
- Music and copyright
- Programming at 2XX
- In-studio training: panelling, basic recording and editing
- Basic microphone technique
- Preparation of your show, considering content, themes, promos, music and talk.
- Preparing and sharing a ‘demo’ recording with peer feedback at the end.
The cost for this training is $200.00 for full-time waged participants, $150 for Subscribers, and $130.00 for students, low income participants and concession card holders. There is a 50% deposit required to secure your place and full payment is required at least 7 days prior to the course date.
Once your request for a spot on a specific course is confirmed by the station manager we request either a deposit of full payment to be made by online direct deposit.
If meeting these training expenses will be difficult, please write to the station manager at firstname.lastname@example.org to determine if a fee reduction can be negotiated.
Training Course Cancellation
In the event of cancellation by the attendee a full refund will be given provided we receive notification of cancellation in writing at least 14 days prior to the course date. A 50% refund will be provided up to 7 days prior to the course date and cancellations received less than 48 hours before the course are not entitled to a refund. Refunds will not be given for a “no show” on the day.
In the event of a course requiring rescheduling due to instructor illness or unavailability, the cost of the course will be refunded in full, or alternatively rescheduled at a later date, should you not be able to attend the rescheduled course a full refund will be provided. 2XX reserves the right to cancel courses and change course location. In the event that a course must be cancelled or the location of the course changed, registrants will be informed a minimum of 7 days prior to the start of the course.